Monday, November 18, 2013

Craft: Sewing on screenwire

 

DSCF1491

 

Here’s a really fun project to do, sew on screen wire!

There are so many interesting things you can do in the craft field.  I particularly like to work with sewing, paint, wood, wire and paper.  This project involves painting on screenwire and then hand sewing with a large needle and yarn.  I used paper doilies for the stencil and a butterfly cut out from my daughters circuit.

First I built my frame with stretcher strips. 

Next, paint the frame with acrylic paints very watered down.

Attach screen wire to the back side of the frame.  You can use staples or small tacks.

Using paper doilies and any other cutouts like the butterfly that you desire, choose your color of acrylic paint and design your picture.

Next decide what part of your design you’d like to sew and begin.  Because this is screen and you can see through it, be sure to watch the path you take, whatever is on the backside will show through, so try to keep it neat.  Also I found that as you are sewing the wire tends to want to stretch, so you’ll have to be gentle when pulling the needle and yarn through.

If you want to put something behind the screen when you are done, you can.  I kept this particular piece void of a background, when you hang it on your wall, you will be able to see the color of the wall behind the design.  I thought that was kind of neat.

DSCF1487

This is the picture laying on beige carpet.

DSCF1488

                                                                This is the picture laying on a black background.

 

DSCF1489

                                                                     And here it is with a cream color behind it

 

You can do a lot of different things with this idea.  I hope you try something and I’d love to see what you make.

Get the stretcher strips for your frame here.

No comments:

Post a Comment